Sunday, August 31, 2008

Goose Creek


083108_07081.jpg
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
I tried Goose Creek this morning. This is a tributary of the Upper Potomac that has one of the more accessible smallmouth bass fisheries in the area; smallmouth have an almost mythical status with Virginia fly fishermen. I accessed the river at Keep Loudon Beautiful Park just above the VA 7 bridge near Leesburg. This was a gamble as I have good largemouth water in my neighborhood, and this place is about thirty miles away. The distance, later sunrise, and assorted family responsibilities translated into just a couple of hours on the water. I would say I broke even. I did not get any smallmouth, but got on a school of chunky crappie -- great fun on a fly rod. I also hooked one descent largemouth that jumped off. This limited success was found with my standard wooly bugger and popper patterns.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Foot Long Smallie caught! At Dusk after a couple of taps, caught a foot long one pound smallie here on Lake James. The fish was deep hooked and bleeding and it was nearly dark, so no time or opportunity for a picture for basslayer....also had a bite on drop shot finesse worm....the fish are starting to bite in the fall pattern...fyi,
Dad

The Olson Family said...

Good deal. I would love to catch a smallie. But I will focus on largemouth now that the fall bite is here.