Sunday, August 17, 2008

Pesky Bass on the Fly


081708_07072.jpg
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
This one might not look like much but he smashed my popper and fought as hard as a smallmouth. My float tube has gotten me onto some sweet spots on Lake Royal. I got this one at the precise location I scored the 15” bass yesterday. The pattern seems to be bushes overhanging the bank near a main lake drop off. The presentation was a yellow popper stripped from the bank over the drop off. The hardest thing about fly-fishing this way is casting large flies sitting low in the water, but it is still a blast.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

While Matt was catching bass on his float tube, I was not catching bass on Lake James. However, I used techniques suggested by good area fisherman and I did have some definite bites....yeah Matt Bites, not just optimistic reactions to hitting structure etc...
Dad

The Olson Family said...

Dad,

If you are getting bit but not hooking fish you could change colors or try something different. Sometimes a subtle bite means that you have located feeding fish but are not quite dialed into the right lure.

Just a thought. Lake James is a very tough lake to fish. I would fish that clear water with as small a lure as possible and use a very natural color.

Have you tried a drop shot yet?

Anonymous said...

I am going to try again tomorrow using some of your suggestions. Anyway out on the lake in the morning with the Blue Ridge Mts. in the background is priceless, catching fish: a bonus.

Dad

The Olson Family said...

When you have smallmouth in the lake over 10 lbs it can be a big bonus!

Anonymous said...

Good News.....smallmouth drought is over...boated a nice keeper this morning....no ten pounder, but maybe close to 2...and about 14 inches. Pix sent....
Dad