Saturday, August 9, 2008

Ely's Ford II


080908_09123.jpg
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
I took another shot at Ely's Ford this morning. I wanted to take advantage of the low water conditions to wade into spots that were too dangerous when the river was high. Unfortunately, the slow current did not support the bass activity I witnessed in June. I tried to locate fishable structure above the bridge. While I did get on top of some rock bass holding in vegetation in the main channel, I saw no evidence of the smallmouth bass I was targeting. I landed a couple rock bass and headed downstream to the river bend in search of current more suitable for a summer smallmouth pattern. I located large boulders and steady current just beyond the river bend. I changed flies from a slider with a hellgrammite dropper in favor of a wooly bugger. This immediately drew strikes from redbreast sunfish, but failed to lure any smallmouth. I had run out of time when I encountered a trophy smallmouth holding just above an eddy on the river bend. I made a few erratic casts before the fish disappeared into the shadows.

In a couple of hours of wading the Rapidan I only landed four fish (two rock bass, and two sunfish); but the experience was well worth it. The river is incredibly peaceful and beautiful in the morning. The river's width requires long casts that justify the 9' 8 wt rod I was using. I will have to wait another day to score a monster bronzeback on a fly rod, but I still had a great morning. Casting a tight loop into the morning mist on the Rapidan takes you to a place you can’t get to inside the beltway.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beauuuutiful shot!!!

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you that was a beauuutiful shot? I LOVE YOU, Mom

Anonymous said...

So Son, what's a 'chunky'? FIshing term or fish? And where are the pictures of my son and grandson...and stay away from the moccosins. In the float tube. I love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

fished the Elys this a.m. The conditions you wrote about sounded like what I saw today.

Picked up a few sun fish, but that was about it.

Waded all the way up the past the bend. Can you usually wade that far?

The Olson Family said...

My experiences are that the Rapidan is pretty wadeable in and around Ely's. When the current picks up it is harder to get around but I believe the current turns on the smallies feeding on the island.

Do you know of any better smallie spots in the Northern Virginia area?

Anonymous said...

Yeah you're probally about the current and smallmouth activity. I look forward to returning in October to fish it again.

As for Norther VA fishing. I am new to the area (moved from upstate NY) and am still finding some places to fish. So far Lock 8 is the only place I've been. I like it because it is only about 10 minutes from my place, but wouldn't recomend it for traveling.

BTW, nice blog!