Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Day My Son Caught More Fish Than I Did


092807_18061
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
Maybe it was pride, maybe it was the humiliation of being bested by a three year old, but I have never fully come clean about what happened in Amarillo that day in September when my three year old son caught more fish than I did. Yes, I know that kills the whole Bass Slayer myth, but it is true.

We were visiting family in Texas and I took David fishing at a local park. I was fly fishing, but my Virginia based fly tactics were marginally producing Green Sunfish. In the first hour I got a couple. My son is throwing a small grub on an ultra-light and suddenly hooks a Catfish. I tried to help him land it but before I could do anything he had slung it out of the water like he was in a tournament. So, this was a fluke, right? At first it seemed so, but after things slowed a bit David asked to switch lures. We agreed that I would tie a Trout magnet on his line. That was the instant the momentum turned in favor of my son. Before I knew it my son had hauled in six green sunfish....six! He's three! I made futile run to catch up at the end. Tied a wooly bugger and scored three or four. But in the end, my son was the better angler that day. It is true. I am proud of him, and I feel better now that I have come clean.

1 comment: