Saturday, February 23, 2008

More Fun With Rainbows and Browns


022308_08392
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
Thanks to the efforts of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) our local trout fortunes have vastly improved. In previous blogs I addressed my ideas about stocking more brown trout, and I bemoaned the size of the fish we were getting this year. A few weeks ago VDGIF with help from Trout Unlimited stocked Fairfax County delayed harvest creeks. I am happy to note greater numbers of brown trout and much bigger fish, particularly the rainbows (see last blog).

This morning started slow. The creek was fairly stained from the storms this week. I always laud the effectiveness of the wooly bugger in most fly-fishing situations. Stained water only reinforces my belief. I believe traditional wet, dry, and nymph flies are lost in stained water. The Bass Fishermen’s basic rule is the more stained the water the bigger the lure. I thought a black wooly bugger was the ticket. After about a half hour I had only one bite so I switched to Chartreuse BH wooly bugger. Over the next forty-five minutes I landed four: two rainbows, two browns. Although I lost a couple more to weak hook sets, today was much slower than last Sunday. I am not complaining; four is still pretty good.

No comments: