Sunday, December 11, 2011

Winter Trout

I am convinced the best winter trout fishing in the Pikes Peak region is the Arkansas River tailwater below Pueblo Reservoir. I hit a couple of holes early yesterday morning and was very pleased. With temps in the teens, It was tough, but I battled through it and managed to get a bite going with a deep nymph rig. My winning combo was a Hare's Ear dropped off a worm pattern with the indicator pegged at about eight feet off the point fly. This seamed to work best drifted just off the bottom on deep holes.

I read somewhere that a nymph rig works best when you add just enough weight to get all the way off the bottom without hanging up every cast. When it comes to river fishing I am definitely all about nymph tactics. When it's 15 degrees, you have no choice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a braver fisherman than your Dad! Brrrrr Cold.....only thing I think about at those temperatures is hot coffee!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Please update your link to BassResource. It should be BassResource.com

Thanks!