Thursday, October 13, 2011

NC Bassin' With My Dad

iphone_pic by ...olson family...
iphone_pic, a photo by ...olson family... on Flickr.

Just got home after visiting my Dad in NC. My trips to see my Dad come with the challenge of cracking the code on Lake James - a very challenging highland lake. We started off targeting smallmouth with each of us getting on the board with smaller fish. I got mine on a fly rod which is really fun. I also found a mid day pattern to pound bream with a fly rod - also very fun.

At some point we found our largemouth pattern: green Zoom Dead Ringers tossed between timber. This is a seasonal thing as Lake James has lots of deep water structure. At 71 degrees the water was perfect for pounding the bank eastern NC style. You have to work for your bass bites on Lake James, but Dad and I both broke through in a big way. I got a solid three pound fish and Dad got a five pounder.

I learned some important points this week: largemouth fishing on Lake James is very doable; Dead Ringers are still the best plastic worms; and my Dad is one of the best fishermen I know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The greatest thing about it was spending nearly a week with you, Matt. The fish were a real bonus though!
Dad

Anonymous said...

Great week

Anonymous said...

Update: One week later the pattern is still working. Out for an hour in same cove, three hits, and one 14" Largemouth caught and released....
Dad in NC

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I think you can adjust the pattern as the water cools and still catch LMB.