Thursday, July 29, 2010

Georgia


iphone_pic
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
My family and I were in Georgia this past week visiting friends. I took this opportunity to get back to my roots fishing for bass and bream. Dad came down from North Carolina and we made a trip to Callaway Gardens. The bream fishing was outstanding. I dialed in some quality action with my fly rod using poppers and dropper flies. Dad was fishing a spinning rod and went through his entire tackle box before finding the right beetle spin to take bream. Once Dad made the adjustments he was matching my action and life was good.

Unfortunately, the bass fishing at Callaway was a bit disappointing. The boat house is only open from 7:00 am to 6:30PM – this eliminates the sunrise and sunset bite so critical to mid-summer bass fishing. Once we went solely for bream we were able to truly enjoy the experience and pick up some quality lessons. Dad’s beetle spin was a great adjustment, and one of the guides at the fly shop turned me onto a fly known as a Rubber Legged Dragon which helped me catch the larger bream more consistently. Overall, our experience at Callaway was made well worth it with some great action and great accommodations.

Bass action came as we moved up to Tyrone, GA and fished the sunset with my son at a small public lake in town. The popper bite was great. In two casts I got quality largemouth that devoured my fly before burrowing in the weeds. My 1X leader was put to good use winching these bass out of the salad. On our last day in Georgia I returned to try the morning bite at the same spot. A dark popper was the ticket to yet another bass fix.

This trip was a great opportunity to continue my pursuit for quality warm water fly fishing. As always, I was very happy to share the experience with my Dad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had an outstanding three days together.....great fishing, great time together, and I got my grandson fix.....
Dad

Anonymous said...

Wow, back in Georgia due to a Delta Airlines fiasco. I'm about a mile and a half from where I caught those bass. Wish I had my fly rod. Then again, it may have just been held hostage by Delta like the rest of our luggage!

Anonymous said...

Back in Colorado. It turns out the rubber legged dragon flies I picked up at Callaway Gardens are excellent for late summer, stillwater trout. They said it was originally tied as a dragon fly nymph for Callaway's winter stocked trout.

I'm running an RLD with a sink tip and split shot to get down deep for summer rainbows. It also makes a good point fly due to it's size and weight. The RLD was worth two rainbows this morning at Quail Lake. I'll take it as front range trout shut down in August.

Sgulde said...

I didn't know you were still updating this blog... just stumbled upon it again. Can't wait to catch up on your fishing stories. ;)

Be sure to blog while you're Iraq...we'd love to hear your "fishing stories" about your adventures there.

Stay safe brother -

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sally,

Of course you helped me set up this blog up. I remember you asked "what do you want to call it?" I paused and blurted out bass slayer. Two and a half years later I still post. It's extremely rewarding and pathetic at the same time.

I'll definately post from Iraq.

Matt