Monday, July 19, 2010

Brush Hollow


iphone_pic
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
I have been hitting Brush Hollow for my bass and bream fix this summer. This Reservoir near Penrose, CO is the perfect place for warmwater fly fishing from a float tube. It's relatively small and accessible -- the entire lake is a "no wake zone." There is lots of vegetation on the northeast side that holds some real nice largemouth. The view of the surrounding mountains is spectacular. Most importantly, there are none of the water critters that often dissuade me from launching a float tube in typical "warmwater" fisheries in other parts of the country.

My best of three morning outings this year got me a 16" bass, a 16" rainbow (it's Colorado), and assorted smaller fish. Each morning has given descent action between smaller bass (11-13") and bream. Big or small, I find warmwater fish a blast on a fly rod and totally underrated by the fly fishing community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have since tried Valco Ponds in Pueblo. Brush Hollow stands as my top choice for float tube bassin'. While Valco holds trophys, Brush Hollow is the most consistent big bass bite on fly.