Sunday, August 23, 2009

Wooly Worm Bass


iphone_pic
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
While I was in Texas I hit the bank of Stillhouse Hollow Lake with my fly rod. I found the purple wooly worm turned out to be the perfect fly to drop off my popper when the top water bite slowed. I usually go for a dropper fly to target other species. I have experimented with using streamers as droppers before with limited success, but I usually revert to a wet fly to entice bluegill, sunfish, and crappie. In this case I started with a wet fly and switched to a purple wooly worm. I thought this fly was the perfect compromise between a wet fly and a streamer. Purple seemed to be a good fit for the slightly discolored, choppy water. The approach was worth a 17” bass which was toward the limit of what I could handle on the 4X tippet I used for my dropper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure how your work went...but the trip to Texas was sure productive in the bass department...what great fish.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Still haven't bogged the five pounder...saving the best for last