Monday, August 24, 2009

God Bless Texas!


iphone_pic
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
Landing a 5LB+ largemouth bass on a fly rod makes me want to move back to Texas. This was the highlight of my short trip to the Lone Star State. The amazing thing about this catch is that it happened after about ten minutes on the bank of Stillhouse Hollow Lake applying the tactics I describe below in my entry on bass poppers. My stand by yellow popper was indeed the right selection. In fact, I fished this popper almost exclusively for the hour or so I put in each day of my visit. This was worth five bass to include a 20, 17 and 15” bass, although I should note the 17” fish was on a dropper fly.

Sometimes these things just happen. I was not particularly prepared to fish; I brought one of my cheaper bass rods and a couple boxes of flies. By the time I was wheels up I had landed about twelve pounds of fish.

It’s hard to beat Texas when it comes to warm water fly fishing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great largemouth water.....
also pretty cool you caught them on a fly rod etc....what a thrill. I once saw a guy on Lake Erie land a ten to twelve pound steelhead on a flyrod....the sky is the limit...
Dad

Anonymous said...

Between bass and trout I should be building up to Steelhead.

Looking forward to more trout on the Blue River next week. Word is they are huge!

Anonymous said...

packing our bags.....soon there,
dad