Monday, May 4, 2009

Drop Shot Bassin'


IMG_0296
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
Fishing Lake James with my Dad over the last couple of days has allowed me to work on my drop shot technique. The depth of this lake really demands some type of deep water technique and the drop shot seems to be the ticket. I retract my earlier assertion about this lake lacking structure; there are several banks lined with downed trees. The ends of the trees often hang over a drop off providing excellent largemouth cover. I developed this pattern with a drop shot rigged finesse worm probed deep into the cover. I hooked and lost some real nice big fish. I changed to a sharper hook and finally got a bass in the boat. This lake doesn’t give up bass easily so you learn to appreciate success.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keys to drop shot:

palomar knot
finesse worm
weedless hook
12" between hook and sinker
make contact with bottom

Anonymous said...

final key:
Find Fish

Dad

Anonymous said...

Always important to find fish; it's quite fundemental to the sport.

Would add that in a deep water lake such as lake James flaurocarbon line beats mono. Need a sinking line otherwise you add too much weight which splashes and scares fish.

Anonymous said...

got out this evening and had two bass hooked, both spit it before I could boat em....one a small smallie, the other probably a medium sized large mouth in cover....looked 14 to 15 inches...had lot's of hits.