Sunday, February 15, 2009

Accotink Quick Fix


021509_07141.jpg
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
I had about an hour to devote to my beloved sport this morning. I am longing for the days when I can get after largemouth bass with my float tube. Unfortunately, it was just below freezing this morning, so I opted for my "go to" hole in Accotink Creek. I got three rainbows on a white wooly bugger but I had the bites to put together a limit.

A key to this morning’s session was opting for hip boots over chest waders for a faster stream entry. I made it home before Zach stirred making my clandestine trout outing a complete success.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Score Matt 3, Trout 0
Dad

Anonymous said...

If I knew how to set a hook properly it would have been 6

The Olson Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Olson Family said...

Tried the float tube today. The only measure of success was I did not get hyperthermia thanks to the polyprophylene I wore under my waders. I wanted to try my new sink tip lines. They are difficult to cast. Kind of takes away from the fun of fly fishing. I also have gone to a loop to loop system which works well, but next time I will stick with a spinning or casting rod targetting bass in cold water.

I got some jigs that might work in the winter.

Anonymous said...

miserable weather here, to change to snow tomorrow...no fishn in NC...you getting out?
Dad

Unknown said...

No dice with the jigs and tubes this a.m. Bass are still a couple of weeks away. May get out for trout in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Not sure why I was logged in as Jennie. But, too bad we don't share the enthusiam for bass.

The Olson Family said...

Calarification: my enthusiam, bordering on obsession, is typically not shared by the non-afflicted. But, Jennie does Fish with the boys and me from time to time. In fact, she has connections to a Texas Lure manufacturer who fishes with Bass Pro Edwin Evers. That's the dude who one the Bassmaster on Lake Erie last year.

Looking forward to the next trip to Amaraillo.