Sunday, January 4, 2009

UK Fly Fishing


I am visiting my mother in England. Upon arrival, I immediately regretted my decision to leave my fly tackle at home. As it turns out, there is a stream three and a half miles from here that holds brown trout: the River Lee (depicted in this 19th century oil painting). I am awaiting a 5-weight fly rod my mother ordered for me for my birthday. I have managed to put together a small box of flies and secured a pair of wading boots from a local tackle shop. Most importantly, I have found publicly accessible water on the River Lee just below Wheathamstead, which is one of the villages near by. I don't know if this stretch holds decent numbers of browns. According to the net it holds "chub, dace, and barbel" which are all similar to both our North American fallfish and carp. I know that the River Lee is generally known to hold browns and I know trout fishermen are prone to hold secrets. The rod should come tomorrow which leave me about four days to fish. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, I pray you get into some trophy browns. Duane; www.nvatu.org

Anonymous said...

Thanks Duane, the rod came and I am set. It was a steel: large arbor disc reel with extra spool, backing and line with loops, and a furnished fly box all for about $45. The only thing that was different from the asvertisement was that they shipped a 7-weight.

Given the 50m spool of 8# mono sent with the package, I am equipped to land a monster

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt so glad you are fishing, would love to see you catch a nice brownie.....
Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Got word that browns are not hitting. Heard pike are on option; got a rod that could handle it.

If it works out I may get a chance to wet a line tommorow.

Anonymous said...

No Dice