Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ice Trout


011809_11221.jpg
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
Today I continued to hone the very specialized skill of extracting trout from a stream that is nearly frozen over. This is kind of cross between fly fishing and ice fishing. My strategy is simple: float a wooly bugger into the current and get as far under the ice as possible. Stripping the fly back up the current seam usually elicits a strike if there are fish in the hole. This approach was worth two rainbows at Accotink today.

I later stopped by Holmes Run which, being tail water, wasn’t nearly as frozen as Accotink. Throwing my trusty wooly bugger scored me another two rainbows. That’s four for the day, which I am happy with given the freezing temperature.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I failed to mention that when I was at Holmes Run, some man walking his dog was telling me how he never saw a fish in the stream. I smiled and if he had been by five minutes earlier he would have seen me catch a rainbow.

I am always hearing aboout how there are no fish from people who obviously don't fish.

Anonymous said...

Matt:
By the fire here in NC could not even imagine trying to land a rainbow through the ice. You are one committed fisherman,
Dad