Sunday, November 16, 2008

Float Tube Adventure


111608_07241.jpg
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
I ignored the beaver that seamed to be circling me as if I was invading his territory; but when one of my flippers popped off and sank I really began to question the rationale of bobbing for bass in ice-cold water. Propelled disproportionately to the left by my remaining fin, I headed for the closest spot to land my tube. I saw a nice drop off that looked like a good point to probe for bass with the Murray’s Strymph I had on. I managed one accurate cast, albeit an anomoly, when a largemouth smashed my fly, bowed my rod, and completely changed my morning. After an extensive fight I landed the 16 ½”pig.

Bass fishing is different from trout fishing (I know this because I do both as much as I can). Trout fishing brings a sense of calm, relaxation, and appreciation for the habitat; bass fishing is pure adrenaline. Landing a 2lb + bass on a fly rod only magnifies the rush.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great bass! Especially given flipper problems etc...

We are now back from our trip to warmer climates, and the 40 or so degrees outside feels frigid....we will talk soon,
Pop Pop

The Olson Family said...

Thanks Dad,
You know if you pick up fly fishing you can fish for bones during your Caribbean get aways.

The Olson Family said...

I dream of catching another bass like that on a fly rod. It's March 1st today. We are still a few weeks away.

Fingers crossed for pre-spawn