Sunday, June 22, 2008

Father Son Fishing


062108_19191.jpg
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
David and I hit Lake Royal yesterday evening. Catching bass is a lot of fun. Catching bass with a fly rod is even more fun. But catching bass on a fly rod with your son is about as good as it gets.

The water in Lake Royal is very stained which can really slow things down, especially when coupled with hot weather. This morning the water was un-fishable after evening rains. But last night I was able to score two bass in short order thanks to my neon yellow slider. I later switched to a spinning rod and David scored a bluegill on the fly rod.

I have learned that one of the simplest ways to consistently catch bass is fly fishing with a large popper or slider. If you tailor your presentations to the conditions, "bass bugs" are as consistent as plastic worms for catching largemouth bass. I drop a wet fly off the hook bend of my popper or slider, which often allows me to catch lots of bream in between bass bites. David’s bream was a product of this approach.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

atta boys way to catch em even in stained water!
Pop Pop