Sunday, May 18, 2008

Braddock Crappie


051808_06191.jpg
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
My quest for a big bass on a fly rod continues. To date 3lb+ bass have alluded me on fly tackle. This morning's short visit to lake Braddock was no different. I had a couple bass strikes on a large neon yellow popper, but either I missed the fish or the fish missed the fly. One 12 1/2" fish did manage a solid strike on my popper. I have always thought that the crappie's status at the top of the panfish class was tarnished by a questionable fighting ability. I learned today that when crappies get past a foot in length they bend an #8 wt fly rod like a bass.

Lake Braddock: come for the bass, stay for the crappie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for this weekend's new pictures and prose! I'm tapping my fingers, now...

Anonymous said...

Quick! put me out of my misery! Update this site! It's been a whole week now! Love, Gramma BeeWee

Anonymous said...

PS, Obviously leaving comments under anonymous worked...Thanks.