Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Big Bass on a Little Fly Rod


052508_07122.jpg
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
My challenges landing quality bass on fly tackle were somewhat alleviated this weekend. Our Memorial Day plans took us to a campsite in Pennsylvania with a fishing pond billed as an overfished, under stocked bluegill hole. Armed with a 4 weight fly rod, I quickly discovered that bass were the dominant predator in this water outside of the tattooed, PBR drinkin' worm dunkers that lined the bank. Avoiding the social pressures of hob nobbing with the Lancaster County RV crowd, I got my fishing fix at sunrise and had the pond to myself. This approach was worth two quality bass: one 17" and one 16". Both took small surface flies: a white foam spider, and a white panfish popper. Landing 2-3 pounders on a 4 wt fly rod was the bass on a fly rod experience I have been after. This was made possible by using a non-tapered 8 lb test spider wire leader.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did you eat that guy? He sounds delicious...Where are my pictures...Love, Pres of your Fan Club

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, your prose provided a spot on picture, Love and hugs, Mom