Sunday, March 16, 2008

Fly Gills


031608_09391
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
Fly fishing for bluegills must be the most underrated angling technique. Wait, I said that about bass. OK, second most underrated.

I tried unsuccessfully to reconnect with the Lake Royal bass population this morning via the brown wooly bugger. One of the great things about fly fishing for bass is that when things are slow you are always poised to pick on these little guys. On my way back to the car I attempted to add to the two gills I got on my wooly bugger. A black foam popper with a yellow wet fly dropper was worth another seven in about fifteen minutes. These little guys really pull. They are the smallmouth of the bream family. What they lack in size they make up for in scrappiness.

No comments: