Friday, May 27, 2011

Monument Lake - First Day Out

Today was my first day on the water this year. I have good excuses for my tardiness: Iraq, surgery, and a nagging sense of responsibility. I hit Monument Lake at dawn. I got off to a fast start with several bites before hooking this bow.

I then set my sights on structure near a beaver dam. This is when the tide turned. I snagged a sunken branch and yanked hard enough to trigger a full intruder alert from the beavers. The first beaver swimming toward me in a confrontational manner didn't phase me. Three of them at once was a different story. At some point I decided that I needed to break off my line. That is when my rod snapped. It was my 5 weight - the one I catch trout with. Six months into 2011 and I have one trout and a broken rod under my belt. I am sure the next thirty minutes on the water will be better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Second day out was better. I can only stand about an hour in the tube with my knee. An hour at Prospect was worth a limit...a Colorado limit: 4. There was no stand off with beavers and I didn't break my rod.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are out and at it! Your offering to the fishing gods will be rewarded....
Dad

Anonymous said...

Your offerings are rewarded with trophy fish. My offerings elicit aggression from beaver taking issue with my float tube.

Anonymous said...

Still catching trout. Need to get a bass soon or change the name of the blog.