Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ice Fishing

I had a great time yesterday ice fishing for the first time at Eleven-mile Reservoir. This remains a great location even when you are reliant on a hole drilled trough 36” of ice. My new fishing buddy Anthony showed me the ropes. I had success applying the drop shot technique to a trout magnet. Anthony had success with a jigging spoon. Together we totaled nine trout comprised mainly of rainbows with a few cutbows mixed in. The highlight was a football sized rainbow I was lucky to manage.

Many thanks to Anthony for showing me a new part of the sport, and for plunging his hands into ice cold water to salvage the chunkster rainbow I nearly broke off with my sloppy landing technique

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful fish.....glad you have warmed up enough to blog about it...
Dad

Anonymous said...

Trout Magnets are great for trout and many other kinds of fish like bass, panfish, etc... Never before heard of anyone drop shotting them. Will have to give this a try..! Great idea.. Thankx..!

kaltawy said...

Never tried winter fishing but it sounds like a lot of fun, nice post...!

bass fishing techniques