Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Skaguay


Skaguay Rainbow
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
I hit the jackpot on Saturday at Skaguay Reservoir near Cripple Creak. Fresh from the wounds inflicted by the monster trout at Antero, I headed to Skaguay in search of a lake more manageable from a float tube. This lake is perfect. It doesn’t have the wind associated with South Park, and there are large numbers of smaller fish that are easier to land in a float tube. My selection paid off; within a few hours on the water I had landed six rainbow trout, and four small pike.

I fished the creek below the spillway on the way out. I put in about fifteen minutes before the weather turned bad and I got three brown trout. Overall, this was my best afternoon ever! I have had good runs in the morning and evening, but this time a landed thirteen fish in the middle of the afternoon through early evening.

I have made a few adjustments to my fly fishing. I am back on wooly bugger and leach patterns, and I have switched from homemade leaders to a knotless tapered 2X. If my streamer patterns don’t work I can always add lighter tippet on the end to go to a nymph or dry fly. I feel that my day on Skagway proves that my dedication to streamer fishing doesn’t just deliver occasional big bites; it can deliver good quantities of trout as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should add that the tail water is called Beaver Creek. This was the real find -- awesome creek!

Anonymous said...

what a great day....you are in trout fishing heaven.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Got a beautiful Bass Pro Shops spinning outfit with Father's day gift.....only had to pay shipping and handling and a few extra $ with the gift card.....thanks,
Dad

Anonymous said...

I tried Brush Hollow yesterday, which is supposed to be a descent bass lake near canon city. I only managed two small bass though I restricted myself to fly tackle. It's a good lake, with good structure; worth putting the boat in and putting around on the trolling motor. It was good for the float tube, but the fly fishing wasn't particularly productive. Next time I am going with a spinning rod and my assortment of soft plastics.