Sunday, April 12, 2009

Accotink Browns


brown trout
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
About a year or so ago I posted an entry advocating stocking more brown trout in our Fairfax County delayed harvest streams. The idea is based on the brown’s greater resilience in warmer climates compared to other trout species. Fortunately, the last two spring stocks in Accotink and Holmes Run have been comprised primarily of brown trout. If browns are not viable in this suburban DC environment, they are at least a great change of pace. Although they are finicky and tend to soft strike, a 12” fish can really put up a good fight on light tackle. I got a couple nice ones this morning on a wooly bugger before my Easter Bunny duties called.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I fished Lake Royal this am from my float tube. Unfortunately, this morning started to feel like a bass slump. No action on a zonker or a strymph. So I went with a popper and a tiny wooly worm drop fly. I got about a dozen gills and a crappie. I am frustrated by my bass woes, but my commitment to the fly may be the culprit. Since I am longing for a quality fish on the fly rod I will set my sights on the brown trout in accotink creek. They may not be as big and powerful as a largemouth, but good brown fights hard, and I might just get a limit.