Saturday, April 12, 2008

Boys Weekend: Day 1


041108_17502.jpg
Originally uploaded by ...olson family...
David and I arrived at my Dad's house in western North Carolina yesterday afternoon. We got in a few hours on the lake. We returned to the dock wind blown and biteless. At this point I had tried just about every style of bass bait in my tackle box: jigs, craws, tubes, spinnerbaits, and swimbaits--nothing.

We tied off to the boat dock and I grabbed my fly rod and tied my confidence bait: the wooly bugger. Hooked a 12" smallmouth...great fun on a 6 wt fly rod.

We still have 2 1/2 days to fish. Lake James is a very tough mountain lake; it is cold and deep. But it holds smallmouth, largemouth, walleyes, a few Bodies (local vernacular for hybrid striped bass), and tiger muskies. Even with slower action, fishing with your Dad and your son is always a great time.

No comments: